Sunday 9 April 2017

Critical reflection on learning in the course(Blog Post #4)

It has been a long 13 weeks since the start of this module and the journey was a challenging and yet fulfilling one. Since the start of this module, my objectives were to improve my presentation skills and pronunciation of certain words. Although I practiced a lot before my presentations, I have yet to get rid of my stage fright. However, I feel more confident during my presentations now than I did in the past.

Besides the objectives that I have set for myself, I also learnt a lot more about communication during this 13 weeks. My favorite topics were “conflict management” and “relationships in the workplace” where leadership played a part in the latter. The Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument(TKI) helped me to learn that there are 5 conflict management modes which I think, would help me a lot in the future as I would most likely be working in teams and conflicts between team members are inevitable.

“Relationships in the workplace” also taught me that how having an effective leader in a company can affect the whole company in a positive way and lead the company to success. An example of this would be the South-West Airlines Case Study where effective organizational practices created an environment where the employees are happy and this led to the company’s success. My group took interest in this case study and wanted to find out exactly how effective leadership would affect a team or an organization.

Through this team project, my team has learnt the qualities of an effective leader and more importantly, how to develop these qualities so that we can each become effective leaders in the future. Although I was short of an effective leader in this group project, I will try and develop effective leadership qualities so that I can be an effective leader in the future.

Overall, this module has taught me a lot of communication skills and has better prepared me for the future that lies beyond SIT. I have become a better communicator and I hope to work with my classmates again.

No comments:

Post a Comment