Sunday 22 January 2017

Blog Post 1: Reflective writing: The Strengths and Challenges of communicating and the objectives I want to achieve

Communication plays an important part in our everyday lives. It is a way for us to express our emotions and ideas which allow our friends and families to understand us better. There are four types of communication; verbal (face to face), physical (Hand gestures), non-physical(body language) and written(e-mails or text messages). Intimacy and intonation varies with each type of communication. For example, verbal communication can have a higher level of intimacy and a friendlier tone as compared to written communication.
Communication has its strengths and challenges. One of the strengths of communication is that it gives camaraderie. Countries have gathered together to negotiate peace treaties and understand each other and thus, preventing wars and the loss of innocent lives. People also talk about common topics such as their likes and dislikes or discussions about family or schoolwork which helps them to understand each other better and hence improving relationships between friends and family.   However, communication also has its challenges. Bad communication skills can lead to misunderstandings between friends and family, eventually resulting in a disagreement. Thus, it is important for us to have effective communication skills. However, effective communication is not inborn and everybody has their own strengths and challenges in communicating.

Two objectives I want to achieve in this course are that I want to be able to communicate effectively and confidently in front of a large group of people as I have stage fright which causes me to stutter in between presentations. I also want to learn about the correct and proper pronunciation of words as I always pronounce words wrongly. One way to achieve my objectives is by participating actively in class and group discussions. I will also practice in front of my friends before presentations and get constructive feedback from them to improve my presentation and communication skills. 

3 comments:

  1. It is true that communication is essential in our daily life. I also agree that more communication between two parties like for example within a family will improve the relationship and trust with one another as they are more open and more comfortable sharing their experiences for the particular day or events that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading, I agree with Anson that we use communication in our daily life such as everywhere we go like school or at home and at any time. It is important for us to know the respective strengths and challenges that we may face in order to continuously improve ourselves to become a better communicator as the day passes by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anson, I think it is a good idea for you to practice and participate actively to help achieve your objectives. I too had the problem of pronouncing words wrongly, and I realised that watching the news helped me! Maybe you could try to do so to help you? I look forward to seeing you overcome your stage fright and I will be here to help.

    ReplyDelete